10 Things that have helped my mental health

DISCLAIMER: ALL of these opinions are all of my own, and no I am not saying to go out and buy all of these things. I want you to do what's best for you. Think of this as a toolbox, everyone's toolbox is going to be a bit different. These are just some ideas of what you can add to yours.

A good water bottle. Yes, I did say the word "good"- not all water bottles are created equal. In my opinion, the cheap ones you can pick up at the dollar store cannot take a beating from everyday wear and tear (at least for me). If that's all you can afford then by all means go and get that cheapo one from the dollar tree, but if you can spare the extra dollars, I would put it towards getting a Nalgene. I personally have been carrying a Nalgene for years, and I absolutely love it. Nalgene sells their water bottles for less than $15. I highly recommend this company.

$11.54 from Nalgene 

Kindle Paperlight.  Whether it's the Kindle app (which is free) or a physical kindle I love it. Reading physical copies of books isn't my thing. I also find it easier for me to read because of my ADHD. It also makes it easier for me to read multiple books at the same time.


Headspace. Headspace is an amazing app. Not once in my life did I ever think I would be meditating regularly- remember this is coming from a girl who has been diagnosed with ADHD for most of her life. You can get a subscription, but there are quite a few starter exercises to help jump start your meditation.



Comfy clothes. I have a slight sensory issue when it comes to certain materials. You can usually find me in leggings or athletic shorts paired with a tee shirt. Wearing this makes me feel unconstructed. I find my clothes from old navy, forever 21 and even saw that Target has a great new line of athletics clothes called Joy Lab for women of all sizes. 

Bookbag. I chose this Bookbag for Christmas for two reasons. The North Face is known for their quality products. This Bookbag also was less than $100. I chose this Bookbag as opposed to getting a bigger one to make myself think about the items I really need. 

Diva cup/Menstrual cup. PLEASE DO NOT SHAME ME. I believe that it is every person right who menstruates to be able to use the method that is most comfortable for them. I have just recently been able to enter this world of using Menstrual cups. My hormones at times can be out of order due to my medicine I take for my mental health. Anyways I feel that this is the best way for me to take care of myself during my time of the month. I would like to eventually own some Thinx underwear also to help with my comfort during this time.


$25.44 from Amazon

Google home or any smart speakers. (I have had both the echo dot and the Google home.) I LOVE this device. I use it daily for so many things. I use it with Headspace and to listen to music. I can also use it in conjunction with my Google calendar and email. At night when having a night terror I can ask Google to play a calming song and easily be put back to sleep. Overall these are extremely cheap and double as good speakers.

$89 from Google 

Spotify. Yes, my Spotify account is something I am incredibly grateful for. Again I got the student pricing and deals (not quite sure of the total cost). Since I am a student this means that I have Hulu and showtime for the whole year included with my account. I don’t have cable in my bedroom so it is nice to know that I can relax and follow my tv shows on my own time. If you don't want to fork out on another subscription site you can make an account for free- the only disadvantage is that you have to have an internet connection to play songs.


*Free

Content creators. I know this sounds silly but stay with me here. Over the past few months, I have curated my feeds to include people that are not only inspirational to me but also people that are different from me. When I look down my Instagram feed, I never know what I’ll see. A nicely drawn reminder to be kind to yourself, or a post about vaginas (and taking care of your reproductive health). I love growing the number of people I interact with. I love learning about the gaming community and the trans community just to name a few. This is just a few examples. (I also love watching the "vlog squad" check David Dobrik out.)

Bella. Bella is my 14-year-old Shih Tzu that has been in my family for most of my life. She was neglected my mom had just gotten a dog and convinced her sister to get this dog. I’m so glad that she did. She came to live with me sometime in July. At the time I was also a caregiver for my great grandfather, and boy did he love her. I now take care of Bella and love her with all of my heart.



I hope you can find some use out of this, and that you too can build up your toolbox!

Grace Bibus 

written on 12/5/18

Comments

  1. Just love your article.I do continuously look over your web site for brand spanking new articles.I am recently acting on associate app how to install spotify premium apk android thats going awe-inspiring and special because of you ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep(less)

Valentine's Day